CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I am like your father

Wow, it sure has been a while hasn't it bloggsters! Rebekah is putting me to shame on the posting of fresh new material so here it goes.

I recently lived with a Chinese family for about 9 days as part of my Chinese program's homestay. It was a lot like living at home actually, no one really understands each other, though I certainly tried a lot harder to understand living with my Chinese family. Both my Chinese parents are teachers at Qingdao University but somehow (and I didn't pry too much) they are able to afford a very nice apartment with a prized view of the ocean. I had a younger brother as well (funnily enough, the week and a half this family puts up a foreign student each year is the closest thing this kid is gonna get to having a brother as long as the one child policy is in effect)--he is 13. Part of the purpose for having a sibling in the program is to serve as a translator in difficult situations but my brother spoke little English. My Chinese family, much like my real family is pretty laid back, as part of the family for the week I could easily ignore formalities and my Chinese mom almost had identical mannerisms to my own mother's. (as a result I only missed home even more)
*as an aside, I have found in my experience here in China that though many students are currently learning English and by the time of graduation have already had a minimum of 8-10 years of English study, many people refuse to try and speak English. Many of them, I believe, are very nervous to make mistakes or potentially become embarrassed in front of foreigners--its a bit frustrating especially since I try my damnedest to use Chinese.

Anyway, here are a few experiences of note with the homestay

  • Shoes.... that's it. Some places in the house you wear em and some places you don't
  • Food like pigs head meat and chicken feet are not unusual within the Chinese home.
  • You will eat fruit before and after meals even if you don't want to.
  • Your Chinese mother will find a way to put some sort of sausage on everything.
  • My Chinese father insisted that I praise him because "Today, I am like your father"
  • My Chinese father also insisted that I drink Qingdao beer at every meal as it is a Qingdao specialty.
  • At restaurants, toasting is very important, especially at specific times and in a specific order.
  • Your Chinese family will think that you have over paid for everything.
  • Chinese brothers love to hold hands, mine wouldn't stop touching mine.--The only thing I'm touchy about is being touched.
  • Skipping stones with my Chinese father at the beach was a Kodak moment.
  • 80% percent of the time I understood %60 percent of what they said to me.
  • It was an overall great experience, but now, I want go home.
...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really have a deep insight!!It seems that you have experienced the "Chinese style"a lot to some extent~~But I have to say,my mother never put any sort of sausage on the dish!!
Get homesick?I think you will get back home very soooon~

rebekah said...

i'm pretty sure that wasn't part of our photobooth agreement. no fair.

courtney said...

I'll hold your hand and be your brother? Can I do that since I am a girl? Ach, well---we miss you.

jimmy said...

when's this shit getting resurrected? i wanna hear the big talk